Drivers suspected to be drunk will be forced to undergo blood tests for alcohol especially during the festive period.
The Transport Ministry and Road Safe Fund have earmarked Bt69 million to cover these tests, as drunk driving has been found to be one of the most common causes of road casualties.
The World Health Organisation’s recent report on road-safety revealed that Thailand has as many as 60 road deaths daily. The fatalities are in addition to a much larger number of victims getting injured and maimed on the roads.
“Blood-alcohol concentration tests aim to ensure that drunk drivers are prosecuted,” Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn said yesterday.
He issued this warning as the government prepares a major road-safety campaign during the New Year holidays.
Since millions of people hit the road during the festive period, the risk of road accidents increase. In recent years, Thailand has been designating seven days of the New Year period as “Dangerous Days” to remind road users that they need to be careful.
This year, the seven dangerous days run from December 27 to January 2. Blood-alcohol concentration tests during the seven
dangerous days associated with New Year 2018 found that nearly 60 per cent of the drivers exceeded the safe blood-alcohol level.
Drivers involved in accidents could be asked by police to undergo a blood test, said assistant National Police chief Pol Lt-General Damrongsak Kitti-prapatr.
“If they refuse, they will be considered as driving drunk,” he said.
Meanwhile, Thai Health Promotion Foundation’s manager Supreeda Adulyanon called on people to refrain from giving gifts of alcohol for New Year.
Public Health Ministry’s permanent secretary, Sukhum Karnchanapimai said more than 166,000 staff will be on duty to provide emergency medical services during the holiday period. “They will be based at 8,583 units with support from 20,741 vehicles,” he added.
Piyasakol, meanwhile, said people could call the 1669 hotline for urgent medical help. “Our team should be able to reach victims within 10 minutes in at least 80 per cent of the cases,” he said.
The quicker victims reach medical workers, the better chance they have of surviving and avoiding disabilities, he said.
(Source: – The Nation)
- 22/03/2018 Thai Police to Ban Water Splashing on Main and Secondary Roads During Songkran Thai Police to Ban Water Splashing on main public Roads and Secondary roads. What next ban all the fun in Thailand.
The Royal Thai Police have reported they will impose a total ban […] Posted in Udon News, TOP STORIES
- 05/01/2019 Why people keep dying on Thailand’s roads Why people keep dying on Thailand's roads, the most lethal in Southeast Asia
Bangkok, Thailand (CNN)Driving in Thailand can be a hair-raising experience at the best of times, but during […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest, Road Accidents in Thailand
- 03/04/2018 Thailand’s military Government plans to tax crypto currencies Thailand's military government wants to regulate the nascent cryptocurrency market, and slap investors dabbling in digital coins with taxes to prevent the expanding sector from being used […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Udon News
- 16/04/2018 Heavy rain in UdonThani over night flooding Great for our gardens and fruit trees but not so good for roads and flooding.
Welcome to come and Visit our Fruit gardens if you are in UdonThani
Posted in Local News, Udon News
- 16/02/2017 Swimming pool Holiday Rental Accommodation in Udon Thani Your own private villa with Swimming pool from 790 baht per day. Car Rental option 750 baht per day.
Call 0868 592 986 to book today
You have private BBQ area as well and poolside […] Posted in FEATURED, Entertainment, Local News, Udon News
- 11/05/2018 Bangkok lane-change crackdown nets 50,000 offenders in two days In the first two days following a strict ban on the practice, Bangkok traffic police issued more than 50,000 tickets to motorists at 15 flyovers and underpasses for illegally changing […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Udon News, TOP STORIES
- 11/05/2018 New “Lane Change” cameras reveal extent of bad driving on Thai roads – 14,000 caught on first day New "Lane Change" cameras
hai Rath reported that more than 14,000 drivers had been caught breaking the law by newly installed CCTV cameras on the very first day.
The […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Udon News
- 26/04/2018 99 more Foreigners Arrested in Thailand OPERATION ‘X-RAY OUTLAW FOREIGNER’ CLAIMS 99 MORE ARRESTS Why not 100 to round it up.
BANGKOK — An ongoing crackdown on illegal immigrants saw the arrest of almost a hundred foreigners […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest, Udon News
- 07/01/2019 UdonThani Sunset and Sun Rise Welcomed to view our photos. Sunset and Sunrise in UdonThani 6 am UdonThani at Udon Country club. Welcome to come and Visit Us. 0868 592 986
Posted in Uncategorized, Travel, FEATURED, Udon News
- 15/04/2018 Almost 60,000 drink drivers nabbed in two days of Songkran festival Thailand 2018 close to 60,000 drink drivers nabbed in two days of Songkran festival.
The number of drink drivers arrested by officials in the past three days since April 11 has jumped to […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Drinks, Local News
- 11/06/2018 Huge plot of military land in Isaan slated for growing “legal” ganja Thai Rath reported that a 5,000 rai area of military land in the Sakon Nakorn area of Thailand is being eyed for growing ganja.
Authorities are expected to soon be given the […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News
- 20/02/2018 Thailand Driver’s License Thailand Driver’s License.
Informational Post about my recent experience with getting my Thailand Driver’s License.
Once you obtain a non-immigrant visa or establish you are a resident […] Posted in Udon News
- 03/04/2018 DOW drops almost 460 points on news of China tariffs & Trump slamming Amazon The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 458 points down, as Beijing slapped tariffs on US imports in retaliation for US steel and aluminum tariffs and President Donald Trump blasted online […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest, Udon News
- 28/02/2018 Tourists Charged With Climbing Ruins At Historic Site Tourists Charged With Climbing Ruins At Historic Site
Five Thai tourists climbing the ruins at Wat Mahathat for pictures have been charged and will be sent to court on Tuesday.
Pol Col […] Posted in Local News, Udon News
- 14/04/2018 This is what happens when they turn the meter on This is what happens when they turn the meter on, all is clear now why they are not willing to drive on meter...
in the next episode .. while somchai get scolded by DLT for no turning […] Posted in News, Local News, Udon News, TOP STORIES
- 26/04/2018 Tap water and electricity fees at apartments come under legal control as of May 1 Starting on May 1, electricity and tap water fees at hostels, apartments or rented rooms in residential buildings will come under legal control which prohibits owners of the premises from […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Business, Udon News
- 10/05/2018 TICKET CAMS TO BUST BANGKOK’S LANE CUTTERS TICKET CAMS TO BUST BANGKOK’S LANE CUTTERS.
They should be fitted in every city and the min fine 1000 baht per offence.
It’s Friday evening and the commute home is more exhausting than […] Posted in News, Local News, Latest, Udon News
- 01/01/2019 Drunk driving and speeding top road toll of 2,761 accidents in five days The 2,761 road accidents nationwide over the first five days of the New Year holidays have claimed 314 lives and maimed 2,848 others, Public Health Ministry deputy permanent secretary Dr […] Posted in News
- 14/04/2018 Longer holidays blamed for more road accidents in Thailand 555 Longer holidays blamed for more road accidents in Thailand 555 How many people go to events even for Government and take the car and get Drunk then drive home ?
The problem will never […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 15/04/2018 DRUNK DRIVERS GET ANKLE JEWELRY, HOME CONFINEMENT A group of drunk drivers were given ankle monitors and placed under home curfew Friday as the authorities introduce new tools to crack down on the leading cause of holiday road […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 16/02/2018 Huge plot of military land in Isaan slated for growing “legal” ganja Thai Rath reported that a 5,000 rai area of military land in the Sakon Nakorn area of Thailand is being eyed for growing ganja.
Authorities are expected to soon be given the go ahead […] Posted in Udon News