A group of drunk drivers were given ankle monitors and placed under home curfew Friday as the authorities introduce new tools to crack down on the leading cause of holiday road deaths.
To make sure the nine do not leave home between 10pm and 4am without permission, the court ordered them strapped to GPS-enabled ankle bracelets, the first time they’ve been used in DUI cases, Probation Department chief Prasarn Mahaleetrakul told reporters.
The test group’s identities were not released to the public, but Prasarn said they were convicted by a court in Bangkok.
Officials said 5,000 of the devices were introduced last month in 23 court jurisdictions. Court officials said the devices, weighing about 230 grams, allow some convicts to be released early on parole while their whereabouts continue to be survived by police.
- 14/04/2018 Longer holidays blamed for more road accidents in Thailand 555 Longer holidays blamed for more road accidents in Thailand 555 How many people go to events even for Government and take the car and get Drunk then drive home ? The problem will never […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 05/01/2019 Why people keep dying on Thailand’s roads Why people keep dying on Thailand's roads, the most lethal in Southeast Asia Bangkok, Thailand (CNN)Driving in Thailand can be a hair-raising experience at the best of times, but during […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest, Road Accidents in Thailand
- 15/04/2018 113,960 drink drivers arrested in Thailand 248 dead 113,960 drink drivers arrested and 2,991 vehicles seized in three days 248 dead and 2557 Injured so far this year. Posted in News, Travel, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 05/04/2018 Songkran 2018 Latest updates and information The biggest festival of the year in Thailand is undoubtedly Songkran. This is also the traditional Thai new year and is celebrated every year between 13th and 15th of April. The following […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest, Events
- 01/04/2018 OIC launches 10-baht travel insurance for Songkran revelers Bangkok – The Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) has unveiled a low cost travel insurance package to be offered to holidaymakers this Songkran Festival. OIC Secretary-General […] Posted in Uncategorized, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 01/05/2018 Nationwide raids round up illegal foreigners without income or proper Visa. Police searched 118 locations nationwide, mostly international schools, early Thursday morning and arrested 99 foreigners - The Schools should be fined heavy for not having the proper […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 03/04/2018 Military and police deployed to transport hubs for Songkran safety Military and police deployed to transport hubs for Songkran safety Military and police deployed to transport hubs for Songkran safety. Police officers and army troops have joined forces […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 16/04/2018 What do I need to hire and drive a car or ride a motorcycle in Thailand In the end it is "up to you". The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For rentals in […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 01/05/2018 Thaksin’s passport petition rejected The Supreme Administrative Court on Tuesday rejected former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's petition against the revocation of his passports, but restored passports for former deputy […] Posted in News, Local News, Latest, Politics, TOP STORIES
- 10/04/2018 Songkran 2018 in Thailand will begin on Friday, April 13 Songkran 2018 in Thailand will begin on Friday April 13 Songkran is an annual festival which takes place over three days during the traditional Thai New Year, April 13th-15th (in almost […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest, Events
- 19/04/2018 2 dead elephants killed in 6 months on electric fence, Thai police hunt ‘elephant electrocutioner’ Thai police are looking for a pineapple farm worker suspected of setting up an electric fence that has killed two wild elephants in the past […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 18/04/2018 Man drowns after riding motorcycle into pond in UdonThani Man drowns after riding motorcycle into pond in UdonThani. A young man drowned after he rode his motorcycle into a pond behind a hotel in Udon Thani’s Muang district on Tuesday […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 05/01/2019 Visa Denied to passport holders on Visitors visas Be warned for 2019 Immigration and Border Crossings clamp down on people staying in Thailand long-term on Tourist visas Full story to follow soon. Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest, Visa Warnings
- 11/04/2018 Udon Thani Songkran party will be a splash UD Town, a lifestyle shopping mall in Udon Thani province, will present a water-splashing war during the UD Town Wonder Water Land Songkran 2018 festival beginning on Thursday and running […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 08/04/2018 Actress killed in car crash in Ayutthaya BMW hits a tree Actress was killed when her BMW car crashed into a tree on a roadside in Ayutthaya province on Saturday morning. Natnicha Cherdchubupphakaree, 21, died when her car plunged […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 03/07/2018 British divers find 12 children and their football coach missing for nine days in Thai cave Twelve Thai boys and their football coach were on Monday found miraculously alive in a cave complex by two British divers after surviving for nine days cut off by flood waters inside a […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 12/05/2018 Laem Ka Beach, Phuket access road closed Laem Ka Beach, Phuket — No More 💔 Access closed Bad news about the beach, loved by many guests and residents of Phuket - Laem Ka. The owners of the territory adjacent to the beach […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 10/07/2018 Cave Rescue 8 boys out now today lets hope to complete the task 5 more to be saved. 8 people out now 5 to go let's hope everything turns out good today Cave rescue: Divers ready to save the remaining five Thais Divers are preparing […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 13/05/2018 Brit tourist in Phuket taxi accident rescued from B1.5mn medical bills No insurance Cover. A campaign to raise funds for a British woman who suffered a broken back and multiple other serious internal injuries when a truck slammed into head-on into the Phuket taxi she and her […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Health, Latest
- 12/05/2018 application in Thailand for night out with the Boy’s Application for a night out - his'n'hers Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 10/07/2018 Recovery divers have pulled 42 bodies from the sea off the resort island of … Phuket Recovery divers have pulled 42 bodies from the sea off the resort island of ... Phuket boat accident: Death toll climbs to 41, 15 still missing. Distraught relatives descended on a Thai […] Posted in Uncategorized, News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest