Thousands of tourists and residents have reportedly fled islands off Thailand’s south-east coast to escape an approaching tropical storm.
Authorities have also been preparing shelters for those deciding to stay put.
Thailand’s Met Office says Tropical Storm Pabuk will bring strong winds and 7 metre (22 ft) waves but it is unlikely to become a typhoon.
A weather warning has been issued but no evacuation order is in place.
The storm is expected hit the country’s southern coast from Thursday, causing heavy rainfall and possible flash flooding.
Thailand’s Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said the military was on alert to assist people affected.
Among those areas in the path of the storm is Surat Thani, home to the popular tourist islands of Koh Phangnan, Koh Samui and Koh Tao.
Visitor numbers to the islands usually peak over the Christmas and New Year period.
“I think the islands are almost empty,” Krikkrai Songthanee, Koh Phangnan’s district chief, told AFP.
Images are circulating on social media of tourists and residents leaving various islands by boat for the Thai mainland.
However, bans on boats have been enforced in several areas including Kho Phi Phi because of safety concerns. As a result, many tourists have been forced to stay put.
Swimming has also been banned in Koh Samui.
If you need safe accommodation We can help in UdonThai
- 05/01/2019 Tropical storm Pabuk Hits Thailand Tropical storm Pabuk Tropical Storm Pabuk buffets Thailand's east coast,
Thousands stranded on Thai islands as Tropical Storm Pabuk hits
Krabi, Thailand (CNN)Thousands of people were […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Latest, Storm Warnings, Thailand Weather, Tropical Storms
- 01/01/2019 Thailand Storm warnings for southern provinces The Meteorological Department has issued the first storm warning of the year in the southern region, including provinces popular with tourists, while other parts of the country will see […] Posted in FEATURED, Events, Storm Warnings
- 21/04/2018 Thailand’s Maya Bay on Koh Phi Phi island closed TROUBLE IN PARADISE
Thailand’s Maya Bay on Koh Phi Phi island closed.
Horrible photos show how mass tourism has affected the environment on the Thai island - as it is flooded by […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Latest
- 10/07/2018 Recovery divers have pulled 42 bodies from the sea off the resort island of … Phuket Recovery divers have pulled 42 bodies from the sea off the resort island of ... Phuket boat accident: Death toll climbs to 41, 15 still missing.
Distraught relatives descended on a Thai […] Posted in Uncategorized, News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 10/07/2018 All twelve boys and their coach have been rescued, after being trapped in a cave in Thailand for 18 days What we know so far
All twelve boys and their coach have been rescued, after being trapped in a cave in Thailand for 18 days. The Thai Navy Seals, who have been running […] Posted in Uncategorized, FEATURED, Local News, Latest, TOP STORIES
- 11/04/2018 Songkran Festival in Udon Thani 2018 updates We wish the people of Udon Thani and Thailand a fun, happy and healthy Thai new year / Songkran 2018! An appeal to all those who love water fights and powder: not all people share the joy […] Posted in News, FEATURED, General, TOP STORIES
- 01/03/2018 New Motorways all over Thailand New motor ways to be Built all over Thailand. The Thai highway network spans over 70,000 kilometers across all regions of Thailand. These highways, however, are often dual carriageways […] Posted in FEATURED, TOP STORIES
- 14/04/2018 The Ultimate Guide to Songkran 2018 When is Songkran? Before Thailand adopted the international New Year's Day in 1940, Songkran was calculated based on the solar calendar, which varied from one year to the next. […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News
- 29/12/2018 Samui cabbies told to use meters, end euro rip-off Samui cabbies told to use meters, end euro rip-off. Just Imagine the price in Bars.
SURAT THANI: Taxi drivers on Koh Samui have been ordered to use their meters instead of charging […] Posted in News, TOP STORIES, Thailand Taxis
- 28/12/2018 A backpacker who broke her neck diving into a swimming pool in Thailand is back in the UK A backpacker who broke her neck diving into a swimming pool in Thailand is back in the UK, thanks to people donating more than £67,000.
The money has gone towards Sophie Wilson's hospital […] Posted in Uncategorized, FEATURED, TOP STORIES
- 02/01/2019 Thailand road accidents over the last 7 days and Deaths The first five of the "seven dangerous days" of New Year travel has seen 2,761 road accidents, 314 deaths and 2,848 people injured.
Lots less due to the massive Amount of Drink Driver […] Posted in News, FEATURED, TOP STORIES
- 22/04/2018 Swingers party busted in Thailand 25 Swingers busted at an event and face charges. The party was in pattaya. 1500 baht for each couple to attend. The Hotel owner was arrested as well for opening without a […] Posted in News, FEATURED, TOP STORIES
- 09/01/2019 No more tourist rip-offs by tuk-tuk drivers in Chiang Mai Bangkok Biz News reported that chief of immigration Lt Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn had turned his attention to tuk-tuks ripping off tourists in Chiang Mai.
The Lt Gen - whose […] Posted in Uncategorized, FEATURED, TOP STORIES
- 22/04/2018 American attacks Thai at Bangkok airport. American attacks Thai at Bangkok airport ‘because his flight was cancelled’
American tried to buy his way out of the rap by offering full compensation payments to the victim. Surasak said […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, TOP STORIES
- 03/01/2019 The authorities are on high alert as Tropical Storm Pabuk is on course for southern Thailand Chayaphon Thitisak, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director-general, said his southern offices were prepared for the storm later this week.
The authorities are stockpiling […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Thailand Weather
- 11/05/2018 Bangkok lane-change crackdown nets 50,000 offenders in two days In the first two days following a strict ban on the practice, Bangkok traffic police issued more than 50,000 tickets to motorists at 15 flyovers and underpasses for illegally changing […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Udon News, TOP STORIES
- 19/05/2018 BANGKOK AIRPORT SHUTTLE RIDE KHAOSAN TO SUVARNABHUMI FOR 60 BAHT ON NEW S1 BUSES BANGKOK — Starting Thursday, passengers can travel between Suvarnabhumi Airport and Khaosan Road on a bus ride that only costs about as much as the surcharge to use an airport taxi.
At […] Posted in News, FEATURED, TOP STORIES
- 12/05/2018 Big Fines now in Bangkok for traffic Offenders are you next to get Caught ? Drivers now without Licences in Pattaya for now 1000 baht Fines Rental Co will now pay 2000 baht […] Posted in FEATURED, TOP STORIES
- 29/04/2018 Arrested for selling fake driving licenses and foreigner ID A former employee of the Department of Land Transport has been Arrested for selling fake licences and registration cards.
[…] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest, TOP STORIES
- 02/04/2018 Gold glitters & dollar declines as US-China trade war escalates The price of the traditional safe haven gold increased on Monday after Beijing introduced retaliatory measures against American goods coming to China.
Gold breaking out […] Posted in FEATURED, Udon News, TOP STORIES
- 10/06/2018 Traffic points system will come in next year – red light infractions deemed only medium serious Traffic points system will come in next year - red light infractions deemed only medium serious
Police have said that the points system for driving offences will definitely be introduced […] Posted in FEATURED, Latest, TOP STORIES