Traffic points system will come in next year – red light infractions deemed only medium serious
Police have said that the points system for driving offences will definitely be introduced in 2019.
But the categories of points might cause some raising of eyebrows especially for foreigners used to more severe penalties.
Going through red lights and going the wrong way are only classified in the “medium” problem bracket.
In total drivers and riders have 12 points to play with each year before getting a ban.
Category one features minor offences such as no helmet or non-wearing of seat belts. That’s one point.
Category two is medium that includes going through red lights and going the wrong way on roads.
Category three is described as serious and includes drink driving, driving under the influence of drugs, speeding and fleeing the scene of an accident.
For that you will get three points.
Collect 12 points in a year and you will suffer a 3 month ban.
Get three bans and you will be banned from driving for a year.
Get 12 points in a year again after that and you can kiss goodbye to your right to drive for three years and have to make a new one thereafter.
The measures were announced by Pol Maj Gen Ekkarak Limsangkat who chairs a committee looking into changes in the traffic laws.
A consultative meeting was attended by 500 members of the public in which the points system was revealed by the Maj Gen who said it would definitely come in next year, reported Daily News.
- 29/04/2018 Arrested for selling fake driving licenses and foreigner ID A former employee of the Department of Land Transport has been Arrested for selling fake licences and registration cards.
[…] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest, TOP STORIES
- 15/05/2018 Lane-changing offences nearing 100,000 after four days of camera work Just four days after a strict ban on the practice was implemented, Bangkok traffic police had issued nearly 100,000 tickets to motorists at 18 flyovers and underpasses for illegally […] Posted in FEATURED, Latest, TOP STORIES
- 28/03/2018 King Rama X coins, notes to debut on April 6 King Rama X coins, notes to debut on April 6. The first coins to be issued marking the reign of King Rama X will be put into circulation on April 6, Finance Minister Apisak Tantivorawong […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest, TOP STORIES
- 10/07/2018 All twelve boys and their coach have been rescued, after being trapped in a cave in Thailand for 18 days What we know so far
All twelve boys and their coach have been rescued, after being trapped in a cave in Thailand for 18 days. The Thai Navy Seals, who have been running […] Posted in Uncategorized, FEATURED, Local News, Latest, TOP STORIES
- 05/01/2019 Why people keep dying on Thailand’s roads Why people keep dying on Thailand's roads, the most lethal in Southeast Asia
Bangkok, Thailand (CNN)Driving in Thailand can be a hair-raising experience at the best of times, but during […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest, Road Accidents in Thailand
- 11/05/2018 Bangkok lane-change crackdown nets 50,000 offenders in two days In the first two days following a strict ban on the practice, Bangkok traffic police issued more than 50,000 tickets to motorists at 15 flyovers and underpasses for illegally changing […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Udon News, TOP STORIES
- 26/04/2018 99 more Foreigners Arrested in Thailand OPERATION ‘X-RAY OUTLAW FOREIGNER’ CLAIMS 99 MORE ARRESTS Why not 100 to round it up.
BANGKOK — An ongoing crackdown on illegal immigrants saw the arrest of almost a hundred foreigners […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest, Udon News
- 29/03/2018 Science Finally Explains How Cannabis Kills Cancer Cells And It’s Pretty Amazing Below is a video of Dr. Christina Sanchez, a molecular biologist at Compultense University in Madrid, Spain, clearly explaining how THC the main psychoactive constitute of the cannabis […] Posted in News, Latest, Udon News, TOP STORIES
- 11/04/2018 Songkran Festival in Udon Thani 2018 updates We wish the people of Udon Thani and Thailand a fun, happy and healthy Thai new year / Songkran 2018! An appeal to all those who love water fights and powder: not all people share the joy […] Posted in News, FEATURED, General, TOP STORIES
- 02/01/2019 Thailand road accidents over the last 7 days and Deaths The first five of the "seven dangerous days" of New Year travel has seen 2,761 road accidents, 314 deaths and 2,848 people injured.
Lots less due to the massive Amount of Drink Driver […] Posted in News, FEATURED, TOP STORIES
- 12/05/2018 Big Fines now in Bangkok for traffic Offenders are you next to get Caught ? Drivers now without Licences in Pattaya for now 1000 baht Fines Rental Co will now pay 2000 baht […] Posted in FEATURED, TOP STORIES
- 19/05/2018 Army troops seized 7.8 million methamphetamines pills and some crystal methamphetamine in Chiang Rai province last night CHIANG RAI
Suspects escape but troops seize 7.8 million methamphetamine pills and 50 kg of 'ice'.
Army troops seized 7.8 million methamphetamines pills and some crystal methamphetamine […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Udon News, TOP STORIES
- 15/04/2018 113,960 drink drivers arrested in Thailand 248 dead 113,960 drink drivers arrested and 2,991 vehicles seized in three days 248 dead and 2557 Injured so far this year.
Posted in News, Travel, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 14/04/2018 Longer holidays blamed for more road accidents in Thailand 555 Longer holidays blamed for more road accidents in Thailand 555 How many people go to events even for Government and take the car and get Drunk then drive home ?
The problem will never […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 03/07/2018 British divers find 12 children and their football coach missing for nine days in Thai cave Twelve Thai boys and their football coach were on Monday found miraculously alive in a cave complex by two British divers after surviving for nine days cut off by flood waters inside a […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 03/04/2018 Military and police deployed to transport hubs for Songkran safety Military and police deployed to transport hubs for Songkran safety
Military and police deployed to transport hubs for Songkran safety. Police officers and army troops have joined forces […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 02/04/2018 Study reveals shocking extent of dangerous driving in Thailand Cargo trucks and public transport buses in Thailand were found to have been speeding beyond the legal limit on more than 17 million occasions last year, according to a GPS-based study by a […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 06/05/2018 In Thailand Over 90 percent of water vending machines are unhygienic
The Foundation for Consumers has urged the City Administration to shut down the operations of many water vending machines in Bangkok, alleging that they were not registered and are […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 01/05/2018 Nationwide raids round up illegal foreigners without income or proper Visa. Police searched 118 locations nationwide, mostly international schools, early Thursday morning and arrested 99 foreigners - The Schools should be fined heavy for not having the proper […] Posted in News, FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 04/05/2018 Ganga Seized on the Mekong River 200Kgs 200kg of ganja seized on Mekong riverbank
A navy patrol seized 200kg of compressed marijuana worth about 4 million baht on the bank of the Mekong River in Ban Phaeng district overnight, […] Posted in FEATURED, Local News, Latest
- 01/05/2018 Thaksin’s passport petition rejected The Supreme Administrative Court on Tuesday rejected former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's petition against the revocation of his passports, but restored passports for former deputy […] Posted in News, Local News, Latest, Politics, TOP STORIES